Monday, November 18, 2013

Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe
November 24th, 2013

Reflection on Lectoring


Making a genuine commitment must always be preceded by asking sincere questions.  How important is the goal?  How much of myself can I commit to achieving that goal?  Is it the right goal for me? 

These same questions apply to the commitment to serve as a lector.

In a recent monthly meeting of our parish lectors, we started with a prayer by John Henry Cardinal Newman.  It is a prayer humbly expressing our confidence that God already has the answers to our questions and will guide us in committing to what is right.  In part, the prayer says:

God knows me and calls me by my name. . . .
God has created me to do Him some definite service,
He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another.
I have my mission --
Somehow I am necessary for His purposes…I have a part in this great work;
I am a link in a chain, a bond of connection between persons.
He has not created me for naught.  I shall do good.  I shall do His work;
I shall be an angel of peace, a preacher of truth in my own place, while not intending it, if I do but keep His commandments and serve Him in my calling.
Let me be Thy blind instrument.  I ask not to see--I ask not to know--I ask simply to be used.

As we conclude this liturgical year and reflect on our service as lectors, we can find reassurance in knowing that regardless of our failings and deficiencies, we are called by God to perform a “definite service.”  Our job is to answer his call with confidence and commitment.

__________________________

First Reading  -  2 Samuel 5:1-3
The King Maker


Saul was a great king.  But his day came and went (the Philistines cut off his head).  Saul was replaced by David who also had his troubles, but he was sufficiently obedient that God put him in charge of a unified Israel.  On the world scene today, there are all kinds of leaders who come and go - some more ignominiously than others.  Today, on the feast of Christ the King, we are given the opportunity to consider how earthly kings and leaders measure up to the eternal king.

When God commanded the prophet Samuel to anoint Saul as king, it was with the expectation that he would follow the Mosaic law.  Even as the most cursory look at the history of Israel shows, a fairly high percentage of its kings - starting with Saul - failed in their most basic responsibility.  Pride and political expediency often outweighed obedience to God and his law. 

Today’s first reading recounts the final step in the unification of Israel under David.  The elders of the northern tribes come to David and claim him as their brother, “Here we are, your bone and your flesh.”  They are also impressed with his credentials as a leader in battle.

Your hearers at Mass may not be aware of all the intrigues that lead up to David’s installation as king.  The details can be quite gruesome. However, the assembly can hear in your reading that God is the true source of a king’s authority. “And the Lord said to you, ‘You shall shepherd my people Israel and shall be commander of Israel.’ ”

_________________________________

Second Reading  -  Colossians 1:12-20
Mystery, Awe and Wonder


Sometimes it can feel like there is a loss of mystery, awe and wonder in our lives.  The commonplace is all there is.  Even words that once elevated our emotions have become overused, abused and unable to offer inspiration.  Not so, however, with the words of today’s second reading.

In today’s reading from Colossians we encounter real poetry and song, real beauty and brilliance, and the transcendent reality of our kingly Lord.  It offers us a joyful hope that we have been made “fit to share in the inheritance of the holy ones in light.”

The reading also offers us glorious words that describe a king who is above all things but who is never disengaged from his creation: “He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.”  It says he is our incarnate king who is our window on the infinite greatness of God: “He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.”

This weekend lectors have a wonderful opportunity to remind their hearers that awe and wonder are still very much part of our lives.  Very much the underlying reality of what it means to have both a shepherd and a king.

© George Fournier 2013